Pages

20140807

"Shrinking Women" by Lily Myers

"Maybe this is why my house feels bigger each time I return; it's proportional. As she shrinks the space around her seems increasingly vast....."

 "I have been taught accommodation. 
My brother never thinks before he speaks. 
I have been taught to filter. "How can anyone have a relationship to food?" he asks, laughing, as I eat the black bean soup I chose for its lack of carbs. 
I want to say: we come from difference, Jonas,
you have been taught to grow out, I have been taught to grow in."


"I learned to absorb.
I took lessons from our mother in creating space around myself.
I learned to read the knots in her forehead"




Sources:
Genius Media Group Inc.. (2014, July 29). Shrinking Women .
          Retrieved from http://lit.genius.com/Lily-myers-shrinking-women-annotated

Button Poetry (2014, July 29). Sugar: Lily Myers - "Shrinking Women" (CUPSI 2013)  [Video file].           Retrieved from http://youtu.be/zQucWXWXp3k

No comments:

Post a Comment